FIRE RESISTANT CORE MATERIALS
Researchers at NC A&T State University have developed a core material that can be used to produce fire resistant structural sandwich panels for the transportation and building industries. The process is adaptable to existing manufacturing facilities. The main component of the core material is recycled waste material. The material is lightweight, strong in compression, a good thermal insulator, inexpensive and can be molded or formed into any shape and size. This fire resistant and nontoxic material has superior mechanical properties.
Ships and other Marine Vessels
Aviation and Aerospace Vehicles
Miscellaneous Structures including Buildings
List of Key Publications Related to E-Core here it is referred to as Eco-Core:
1. S. Argade, K. Shivakumar, R. Sadler, M, Sharpe, G. Swaminathan and U. Sorathia "Mechanical Fire Resistance properties of a Core Material," SAMPE 2004, May 16-20, 2004 Long Beach Convention Center, Long Beach, CA
2. Shivakumar, K.N., Argade, S.D., Sadler, R.L., Sharpe, M.M., Dunn, L., Swaminathan, G., "Processing And Properties of A Fire Resistance Core Material For Sandwich Structures", Journal of Advanced Materials, Vol. 38, No. 1, Jan 2006.
3. L. Russell, Jr. and K. Shivakumar, "Energy Absorption Mechanism in Certain Foam Materials," in Symposium of Heterogeneous Materials, Society of Experimental Mechanics Conference, Portland, Oregon, July 2005.
4. Raghu Panduranga, Larry Russell Jr. and Kunigal N. Shivakumar, "Fracture Toughness Enhancement of Fly Ash Based Eco-Core by Glass Fiber Reinforcement," 22nd Annual Technical Conference of the American Society for Composites, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington September 17–19, 2007.
5. R. Panduranga, K. Shivakumar, and L. Russell, Jr., "Confined and Unconfined Compression Properties of Modified Syntactic Foam, AIAA-2007-2336, 2007
6. R. Sadler, M. Sharpe, and K. Shivakumar, "A Comparison of Mechanical and Fire properties of Eco-Core With a Competitive Commercial Material," SAMPE 2007, Baltimore, MD June 4-7, 2007.
7. Raghu Panduranga, Larry Russell Jr. and Kunigal N. Shivakumar, "Fracture Toughness Enhancement of Fly Ash Based Eco-Core by Glass Fiber Reinforcement," 22nd Annual Technical Conference of the American Society for Composites, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington September 17–19, 2007.